Friday, July 25, 2008

What are the odds?

In the midst of silly gas prices, I'm always looking for a deal. The most convenient gas station about a mile or two from where I work always has the highest prices around. Yesterday, this station surprised me by having regular gas for $3.89, only a penny more than the cheapest gas in Lafayette. I breathed a sigh of relief and gave me Elantra a taste o'gasoline. However, while looking and my receipt and preparing to get in my car, a man approached me with a sad story about how he had a truck driving service that went out of business in Beaumont, TX, and he was trying to get to Slidell, LA. I quickly said, "Well, I'm not headed that way." He immediately responded with, "Actually, I was hoping you could spare a little gas money." I lied and said I didn't have any cash, and that I used a credit card to tank up. I hurriedly wished him good luck and opened my car door, and he said, "God bless you," and walked away. I felt scared but terrible all at the same time. Later realizing I would've had to lean into my car to the passenger seat to get my wallet, I thought that I had made the right decision, but I still felt bad. That's just how I am, I guess. If I would've been holding money, I would've gave him some. You never know. Although I was curious as to why his car had Mississippi plates if he was from Beaumont, travelling to Slidell. Oh well. Maybe I saved my life, or maybe I rejected someone in need. Can you see both sides? My parents would say I did the right thing, but I do see both sides. I guess the point of this ramble is that if I had a little bit of cash on me, I would've spared it. But it wasn't. It was way in my car. Well, enough. I just thought it was weird that the one time in months that I go to that gas station, this would happen. What do you think?

3 comments:

Katie said...

I always hate being in those situations. It does make you feel guilty, but it seems odd for a guy to ask a young female that kind of question, and I find that story a little harder to believe than, say, someone looking for bus money.

Josie said...

Well, he could've been bumming money for the "Maurice Bus". Just joshin'.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain being caught inbetween the 2 sides of "doing the right thing" and "avoid strangers because your parents told you to". In this day and age you can never be too careful.

I have no doubt that if you had had money in your hand or pocket that you would have shared ... you're like me!

Ashlyn