Monday, March 09, 2009

I now have reason to be "that sweaty, red-faced girl"...

I have asthma. And I'm allergic to everything...practically.

It all started about 6 months ago, when I started getting sick a lot for no reason. I figure I had some kind of "cigarette smoke allergy", which I discovered today does not exist. But, my symptoms always seemed to turn up anytime I was around cigarettes, even just one. Within the last month or so, I had Strep throat and bronchitis back to back. So, Mom got me an appointment with an allergist.

I went today, and upon talking to the doctor before testing, I kind of started feeling like I was overreacting, and I really wasn't allergic to anything. Maybe my 4-5 upper respiratory infections a year was normal, or related to something else.

They proceeded to start the testing on my back. I had 64 samples pressed into my skin with tiny needles that I barely felt. That definitely wasn't the worst part...



The worst part was resisting the urge to rip my skin off for 15 minutes while THIS developed...

It itched so bad that Mom had to talk to me constantly to keep me from focusing on it. The worst itching was on the back of my neck, which is at the very top of the picture.

All in all, I have a mild mold allergy, a moderate tree allergy, and a very severe grass allergy. She told me that cigarette smoke is not an allergen, but an irritant, and since my allergies are so severe, they trigger the asthma whenever I am around it. The asthma and allergies explain why I constantly have an upper respiratory infection. I have to start taking shots twice a week, carry an emergency inhaler, and carry an Epi-Pen for emergencies. I had to practice in her office by jamming it into my leg. Good times!

The reason why I'm allergic to so many things is because Louisiana does not freeze, so the allergens are in the air year-round. Here's a detailed list of everything I'm allergic to. No animals or foods.

TREES: Maple, Sycamore, Walnut, Willow, Poplar, Elm, Pecan, Cypress, Mountain Cedar, Red Cedar, Mulberry, Cottonwood, Privet, Birch, and Hackberry.

Basically, the only trees I didn't react to were Pine, Ash, Boxelder, and Oak.

GRASSES (allergic to all I was tested for): Bahia, Bermuda, Timothy, Rye, Johnson, Fescue, June, and Orchard.

Who names these things????

MOLD SPORES: I won't go into details because the names are even more ridiculous. Out of a possible 14, I'm allergic to 12.

WEED POLLENS: Cocklebur, Sagebrush, English Plantain, Mixed Ragweed, Lamb's Quarter, Pigweed, Marsh Elder, and Sheep Sorrel.

Haha, pigweed! The only one I wasn't allergic to was Kochia.

SO...long story short, the nurse told me it wasn't all in my head. I really am that nerd that's allergic to everything!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Who needs nature?! At least you aren't allergic to any foods! Haha. It could be worse!

Josie said...

True. Not allergic to Beezoo either!

Tricia said...

Oh no. I'm sorry to welcome you into my world, Josie. I took that allergy test twice (long story) and I was allergic to every single item except cockroaches and dogs. Oh boy!! Hopefully you can get some relief now :)

Josie said...

I was shocked when I saw on the paper that people are allergic to cockroaches! I mean, sure they're filthy, but come on.

Unknown said...

Thank God you're not a hippie otherwise this might be really bad news for you.

Now go out and get a new puppy & kitten!

P.S. I had this test done too and even though I didn't have any allergies it itched SO BAD. I have what's called non-allergic rhinitis. All the symptoms of being allergic without actual allergies. Seriously, wtf is THAT?