Thursday, February 26, 2009

Merdi Graw




Tuesday was Mardi Gras here in Louisiana, not all over the country as I thought in elementary school. In the above photo, you can see that I was very enthusiastic about catching as many beads as possible. And no, you don't flash the goods in Lafayette. You can also see that I am not a true Pardi Gras girl, as I knew where I was, was drinking water, and my hair didn't smell like vomit.

The Mardi Gras festivities here start way before Mardi. There were parades in Lafayette starting on Valentine's Day. The night before Mardi Gras (Lundi Gras), I attended the Queen's Parade with Kevin and my cousins, Seth, Maddie, and Jacob.



I then proceeded to get smacked in the face with an enormous clump of beads that I decided to catch with my nose and mouth.

Mardi Gras day, Kevin rode in the Independent Parade, which is the best parade. It's all independent (hence the name) companies and groups. Basically, anyone can ride and doesn't have to be part of a "Krewe", which costs thousands of dollars. He had an armful of beads that he was saving just for me, and when he spotted me, I waved and told the people with me that he was approaching. He gave me a gesture to get my hands ready, and so I threw 'em up to get my goods. However, the lady right behind me decided she deserved my really nice beads that were especially for me, and she reached above me and got all of them except two. I was left with TWO beads. Really nice beads, but only two of them. As my mom said, "That b****."


There's Kevin amongst the Mardi Gras peeps on his float. Unfortunately, he's not the hottie in the #22 jersey, but rather, the hottie to the right of that said hottie.

After catching all we could, we walked down the street to hear my cousins Cameron and Tyler play with their band, Nunchuck.

That's Cameron on the far left and Tyler on the far right. They're guitar-shredding bros.


However, our Mardi Gras wasn't all good, clean fun. Dad did meet up with a flasher...


Twas a splendid Mardi Gras... much better than the Mardi Gras when I broke my L1 vertebrae, but not many things are worse than that. Here's to next year, and three days off of school again!

Laissez les bons temps roulez.

2 comments:

James McAuley said...

woohoo mardi gras! papa toups!

Anonymous said...

ZZ says:"Mah yes we did have fun us!!!"